Thursday, 8 November 2012

Personal Post: Remembrance Day

Remembrance Day is an occasion that is very dear to the hearts of many Canadians such as myself.

To some citizens the day is set aside to reflect on the loved ones that have become casualties of war, be it a war overseas or a war on crime right here in this city.

To others the day is for honouring the memory of the fallen soldiers from wars in the past, giving up their lives so that we can live in the world we do today.

To me this is a day to remember sacrifice of another kind: the sacrifice of time.

Like many people my age, I've grown up with things just being handed to me in life. Education is (for the most part) free, my tuition isn't ridiculously expensive, I have a decently paying job, my house has heating and food, I can be friends with whoever I want, and I can believe in whatever I want.

But the higher ups in society made all of this possible in my country because they took the time out of their personal lives to put these things in effect.

My generation like to generalize them and accuse them of any wrongdoing that happens, but many of them continue to fund the police, fire department and hospitals so that we can be secure.

To work really hard for people that aren't thankful is heartbreaking, yet some of these people do this every day.

So to them I say "Thank you. You shall be remembered."


No comments:

Post a Comment