Thursday, 24 January 2013

School shootings - A two way act of selfishness

I know it's been several weeks after the fact, but I think it's time to put in my two cents of the Sandy Hook shootings.

When I first found out about the horrific murders in Connecticut, my impulse reaction was to get mad and think, "How could someone be so cold?"
The media was exploding with stories about the killer, the deaths, and the ongoing debate over gun control in North America. The President of the USA gave a speech that afternoon.
But over time, I began to realize that we were forgetting the most important thing: This isn't a story about guns and murder. This is a story about a bunch of nameless individuals that will never be heard of again, completely overshadowed by our own debates and perceptions on the situation.

I don't know the names of the children or teachers that were killed, I don't know the life and mind of the killer. All I know is that these deaths have been reduced to a form of entertainment and gossip. We'll forever see the killer as some monster without a single speck of humanity inside of him, and we've decided to make that the focal point of this tragedy turned debate. And that's how he'll always be remembered. What I see is a lonely person that wished to be remembered, no matter the cost. And if we give this much attention to a school shooting, how much more when the next story focuses on the deaths of even more vulnerable people. All we're doing is encouraging murder, not preventing it.

I believe that every human is a nobody with their own set of issues and problems. Rather than quickly pass judgment, we should focus on what matters: the people involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment